
The course of the events described below happened over the course of two days: This Saturday and Sunday. Well, it could be any Saturday or Sunday. You get the drift? Yes?
South Ex:
Last year I read a book I fell in love with: The Zoya Factor. So when the writer released her second book this month, I had to have it. I mean I could have waited some time and bought it a bit cheaper maybe. But then the plot would already be public, right? And I couldn't wait for the book to reach the pirated market. So what if I could have saved a few bucks? I mean, what's the point? These poor writer-log have to make a few bucks too, right?
So I walk into Midland and grab the first copy of Battle for Bittora I can lay my eyes on (these bookstore people, by the way, are really smart. No book you want will ever be hard to reach/find, lest you change your decision). Oh wait! What is that? Do I see a book by Lauren Weisberger of Devil Wears Prada fame? When did Last Night at Chateau Marmont come out? And why didn't I hear about it? Of course, I have to have it. Come on, I have read all her books and loved them!
Me: "How much will that be?"
Cash counter guy: "Rs 480 ma'am"
Me: "Can I have a carry bag please?"
PVR Saket:
There are two-three stalls selling old books in the complex. I am watching Do Dooni Chaar there. In between a particularly boring patch in the movie, I find my mind wandering to those tempting stalls waiting to be devoured out there. Movie finishes. As fast as my legs can carry me, I rush out.
Stall No. 1:
Me: "Bhaiyya, Shopaholic ki koi kitaab hai kya?"
The eyeing-cleavage kinda bhaiyya: "Nai, madam"
Stall 2:
Me: "Bhaiyya, Shopaholic ki koi kitaab hai kya?"
The eyeing-cleavage kinda bhaiyya (yes, they are all into eyeing cleavage. Maybe that's why some of them lay out there books/wares on the ground. Better view, eh?): "Nai, madam"
Stall 3:
Me: "Bhaiyya, Shopaholic ki koi kitaab hai kya?"
Yeah, yeah same kinda guy: Haan madam, ek hai.
JACKPOT!
Me (eyes shining): Dikhao
From somewhere he fishes out a book called Shopaholic takes Manhattan. Something seems odd. I know the names of all the Shopaholic books I've yet to read. This is NOT one of them. So is this a fake? Hmm...
Me: "Kitne me doge bhaiyya?
Bhaiyya: 200
Me: 150 mein de do bhaiyya (wait, why am I bargaining? It's a fake, right? So why will I buy it?)
Him: Chalo, le jao
Me: Ek polythene de do bhaiyaa
Ok, let me explain. Maybe it's a fake. But I am getting it for Rs 150!! It's super cheap. Who knows, maybe I will like it as much as the originals! Why take a chance?
Def. Col:
The shop that sells second-hand books has Shopaholic and Baby and The Twenties Girl sitting pretty on a shelf. And they are looking so adorable! Come on, how can I resist them? I love Sophie Kinsella! (For proof, read PVR Saket).
Me: Bataiye, bhaiyya kitne me denge?
Him: Chaliye aap ke liye 450 de dijiye.
Me: Ek polythene de dijiye.
Dayal Opticians:
The person behind the counter is enthusiastically showing me frame after frame.
Him: "See this, madam. This is very good and only Rs 1,500"
Me (putting it on and looking in the hand mirror): "Naah"
Him: "What about this one? It's sturdy and smart"
Me (putting it on): "How much?"
Him: "Only Rs 1,800 madam"
Me (looking into the mirror): "No, I don't like it"
Him: "See this one"
Me (trying it): "How much is this for?"
Him: Rs 3,000
Me (looking in the mirror): "I'll take this"
Come on, that was the only frame I liked! And it's not like I am going to buy a frame everyday, am I? And it looked good on me!
Shopper's Stop:
I am sitting at a table. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a lady picking up a sweater and calling someone over to show it. Yeah, that sweater looks really nice. I should go and check it. What's the harm in looking, eh? I zip towards the rack and try the sweater. Mmmm.....it's nice. And it has a cap too. I only have one sweater which has a cap, and yes you guessed it, I love sweaters with caps.
Me at the cash counter: "I will take this please"
Counter boy: "That will be Rs 999 ma'am"
Me: "Can I have a carry bag please?"
Mobile Store:
Me: "I want a black Nokia EXX model"
The guy: "Black is out of stock ma'am"
Me: "But I want the black one only"
Guy: "Why don't you try this BlackBerry phone ma'am? It's much, much better. And it will only cost you Rs 3,000 more"
Me: "Hmmm"
Guy: "Let me assure you ma'am, anyone who uses a BlackBerry becomes a 'Berryholic' you know!"
To be continued....
15 comments:
Oh dear... i do have a shop, just so you know...:P
awesome writing, waiting for me
Good one!
Shopaholic takes Manhattan isn't fake, is it? I have read that one. I liked it. :)
Btw, are you another Becky Bloomwood? ;)
@Siddesh: Thanks. And by the way, what do you sell? ;)
@Ashutosh: *takes a bow* :)
@Destiny's child: See, just what I meant when I said "Why take a chance?" Yippee, it's not fake! And me Becky Bloomwood? No way, I am so thrifty. Except Saturdays and Sundays ;)
yo...yo...yo...way to go...
welcome back...has been long since u wrote...and as always...
i ended up laughing
@Pradip: Thanks :)
Jeez, I must be a shopa-teetotaler! You managed to carry all that back home by yourself? And why are you buying more books on the subject you already seem to be adept in!
@RGB: Jeez! Shopa-teetotaler? You need to learn from me. Ha ha
Ah, its a relief seeing you on a spending spree. Assures me I'm not the only compulsive shopper ;-)
Hahaha-DIC,now that's what I've been missing,when you don't post more often...you must..this post gave me the 'smiles of the day'...:)I'm the same,where books are concerned,with the 'let me take this also and that also' theory..:)
---
A big grin at the 'eyeing-cleavage kinda bhaiyaa' remarks- I guess they must be getting bored,sitting in the hot/cold weather,na?So,sheer ennui must be making them behave thusly..hehe...surely they stop after you call them'bhaiyya'??
----
And,the frame-yes,indeed-it's not like books-you don't buy frames everyday.So,when you find one looks good on you,that's it..:)Did you try Titan Eye-Plus?I went there four months back,and, believe me,I'm impressed...from the economy to the most expensive,they keep frames for all pockets.
----
Cheerio,and,waiting for the continuation-curious to see whether you got hooked to the blackberry idea or decided to wait for the E...(Waise,did you hear of Blackcherry?I see the ads in Times,regularly)
@Shivani: *does a jubilant jig sitting at her computer*
@Amit: Thanks Amit. Your "generous" comment made my day! Errr, I couldn't wait for the E series phone....but I think you must have already guessed that! :)
I think shopping is in girls' genes :P ... and its a great stress buster too !! Cheers!!
Hi,DIC- wishing you a thrilling 2011..:)
Hey
Love the way this post been written.Filled with humour and makes for gud coffee table blog.
Cheers
(I confess Im a shop alcoholic inspite of being a guy)
@Neha: Yup. Bang on! Totally agree :)
@Amit: Thanks and wish you a Happy New Year too!
@Vishal: Yay! You are a rarity. Am sure your girl must LOVE you :)
Post a Comment