
I have a steady boyfriend (he doesn't like being called a boyfriend by the way, prefers soulmate, partner etc.) for more than two years. Though we practise different religions, it has so far never bothered us. Given a choice I would like to settle in matrimony with him.
However, the truth is that when the two families eventually meet I doubt they will get along. They are as radically different as chalk and cheese. Friction will surface. And I am scared that it may take a toll on my relationship. That's the reason I am pushing marriage away, buying more time.
P and I have been in love long enough to realise that we want to grow old together. However, what's also true is that it will be extremely difficult for us to adjust with each other's families. More so for me because let's face the truth: expectations are sky-high from women. It would be near-impossible for me to keep everyone happy.
I really don't know what P and I will do if the two families fail to see eye-to-eye with each other, which I somehow expect to happen (women intuition and all that).
All this makes me wonder why we in India take marriage so seriously? Why can't we be more open-minded? Why do two families have to treat the subject as if it's a life-and-death situation?
If two people are in love and want to spend their lives together, why does the whole world converge on them with their respective likes and dislikes? Isn't it true that ultimately it's these two people who have to stay together?
I totally agree with the Western world's take on marriage. Life is very short, spend it with the person you love and who makes you happy. There is absolutely no interference from any of the two families. Of course, I have my reservations about getting married every two years, which I don't agree with. But frankly speaking, if our society allowed us the same space who wouldn't do the same? After all, only a few handful in this world are lucky enough to find their soulmates the first time they fall in love.
I hope in the future we get a little more easy with the subject and stop treating it as a national emergency.
I would be glad to hear from those of you who are going through or have been through such a phase in your lives...SOS
7 comments:
up close and personal this time? eh...
anyway... for the sake of u and ur "soulmate", I wish the "women intuition" goes wrong this time. I agree with ur opinion about the Indian society that doesnt miss any opportunity to press for their views on individuals. And I sincerely hope, we give dis-similar values to the next generation, at least when it comes to forming opinion about a couple. As far as ur life is concerned, I wish u and ur "soulmate" all the very best. Have faith in each other and the love that u have for each other, and all will be fine, inshaallah. May god bless you and kkep u together always...
and by the way...lovely picture again...
take care
@With Malice: Amen
Hey! :) saw that u are now following my blog.. Dropped by to say hi.. n coulldn't stop myself from commenting. If u've read my posts, its not been easy with us. Expectations are always high.. but at the end of the day what matters is that ur partner n u want to be together.. Everything else automatically falls in place. wishing u loads of luck with ur future plans.
@Mindful meanderer: Hey, thanks for both dropping by and following me.
Seriously, there are times when I just feel like giving it all up...but somehow I can't. I pray and pray that things fall into place soon. Thanks for all your wishes, I really do need them :)
Sending lots of good thoughts your way!
@Once Upon A Tea Time: Thanks dear. Thanks a ton!
Post a Comment