Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The village beckons its idiot


My village, my place. Yes the idiot is back...

Been just a short while since I last came home, but it already seems like an eternity. Maybe because this time I have come on a long leave.

While going for long evening walks with my mom (yes, huffing and puffing trying to lose a few kilos), my mind automatically rewinds to a few years back when me and mom used to scale the same roads. At that time, I didn't need to lose weight at all. I just went with mom to give her company on her walks.

The tables have turned now. Now she gives me company. Such is life :)

Surprisingly, my village hasn't changed at all in the years that I have been away. Of course, more hoardings have sprung up offering "coaching" to kids in "maths, physics, chemistry" and the likes, but the essence, the pace of life and the soul is intact.

However, what strikes me now is that I don't seem to fit here. Though I belong to this place, I have clearly come a long way. My thinking, horizons and attitude have changed. They don't fit here anymore.

Does that mean I consider myself a big-city girl now? No. I do not. My small-town upbringing and values are a bit different from those of the big-city kids. I can't easily mingle with the high-fi people here. I find myself a misfit here too.

When the know-it-alls talk music (hard rock, soft rock, jazz, eminem blah blah) or films (always Hollywood) or anything under the sun, I just listen. I have nothing intelligent to add. I am neither witty, nor can I hold their kind of intelligent conversations. I get bored.

I don't know much about different cuisines (Mexican, Italian, Spanish etc etc) either. I just look for an item in the menu that sounds or reads something like dal-chawal. In plain words, I am "not happening" by big-city standards.

This village idiot neither fits in here, nor there.

So where do I belong? I am clueless.

Any answers?

3 comments:

With Malice said...

see the best thing that can happen to us is change...change for gud...we grow up, learn things, become wiser, and learn to live in different societies...learn to live in different worlds, learn to adjust in various circumstances... This is how we mature. But the core doesnt change. At heart we all are the same people our folks know. We are the same that out pet names suggest... So my dear this feeling of two different worlds show that u have had experience...that u have learnt to live in a bigger world...and trust me...nothing gives u a better feeling than the feeling of improvement. U know u have learnt to live in the bigger world. Now the know-alls type people...trust me no one, and i mean no one, knows all... They can show off cuz they live in a virtual world. Let them coume out of it and then fight. one on one, mano-o-mano...and then see who wins...
:)
great blog though...liked the writing style...keep it up.

Destiny's child... said...

I think you belong to the set of straightforward, good hearted people :) That set neither belongs to the cities or the villages. Rather, you can't tie them to any narrow concept! Does that sound good? Just loved the read. Very honest and from-the-heart :)

The Double Inverted Commas said...

@Destiny's child: That sounds very good indeed! Yipeee. Now I am know where I belong. The super upper-crust. Ha ha