Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cities I have been to

Kanpur: It’s my nani’s birthplace. We went to her sister’s (my doosri nani’s) place. Will always remember how my doosri nani, my mausi and maamas took care of us and took us sighseeing. Can’t forget their house too. An old, ancient, palatial kothi in which all rooms were interconnected. Found it a great place to play hide-and-seek at that time. J

*Not so good: The train journey to Kanpur. Mid-way the northern grid failed bringing the train to a grinding halt in the middle of nowhere for more than 8 hours. At that time there were no mobile phones also. With nothing left to eat, we had to be content looking at a lady in our compartment feeding her young grandson mango after mango. Sheer torture!!


Dhenkanal: I doubt anyone would have heard of this place, It’s a small hilly town in Orissa, I spent few months here pursuing my course and still can’t get the calm, peace and the memories out of my mind. My beautiful college campus, the science centre, the numerous trips we undertook into the interiors of the state, the different style of living, eating, language and the first experience of living away from home still haunt me. My first love and my first heartbreak too happened here. Painful no doubt, but something that I don’t regret.

*Not so good: While walking back one night at around 8:30 with a friend, a few teenage boys started cycling around us on a deserted patch. They stopped a few steps ahead of us and then one of them came near me, groped me and ran. It left me shaken. Later, I learned it had happened with other girls in my hostel too. Scary. The place didn’t seem like a paradise anymore.


Bangalore: A day-long trip undertaken at the insistence of a very dear friend. The first thing that struck me about the city was the mindblowing weather. It was cloudy and cool all day!!

*Not so good: Since I was there for just a day, couldn’t go sightseeing at all L

Singapore: The smallish city state. This was an office-sponsored trip. It was the first time I travelled outside the country alone and totally loved the grown-up feel it gave me. The people there live in houses that will qualify to be called “dollhouses” by Indian standards. A country that pays its citizens to have kids. What else does one want? Also got a free ride on the Singapore flyer. Changi airport was awesome.

*Not so good: The back-breaking schedule. We left the hotel at 9 in the morning and returned at 10 in the night. No recreation, no sight seeing. Those bouts of extreme loneliness and homesickness in the hotel room. Not to mention, the food sucked. I was glad to be returning home.


London: Ahhh a fascinating city. Nothing magical about it for sure. But there is a certain charm in its mixed population, crowded tubes, the grime, dark underbelly and the mystery shrouding it. Maybe the only city in the world which doesn’t make one feel they are in a foreign land. There’s someone walking along the pavements from every country here. Buckingham Palace, Madame Tussads, Tower of London, the bus rides, Thames........Definitely a city I would like to work in if I get the chance.

*Not so good: Can’t remember anything.


Paris: A whirlwind tour. Most remembered? Of course the Eiffel Tower. Also the architecture and the so-obvious leaning of the city towards art. A magical place. The travel company arranged for all of us to visit a nightclub. Dressed up as best as we could we landed up there. To know what happened, read below.

*Not so good: I watched the first and the only striptease show of my life. First the ladies came and danced in barely transparent shirts, then their bras and finally whooper!!!!!! You get the drift? It was horrible. And for a child of 15, acutely embarrassing. The dancers were all fantastic though. Great guts!!


New Delhi: One of my all-time favourite cities. I love this city from the point of view of a tourist. It’s rich history, the grandeur, roads, its political hub, autorickshaws, India Gate, numerous family trips etc. etc. It is also the current place of residence.

*Not so good: My encounter with road rage and the insensitive people here. While that guy misbehaved with me and my sister in broad daylight, what did Delhiites do? Casually drove past. Not one of them had the decency to come to our rescue. Even a police van passed us and didn’t turn around, another shocker.


Goa: If I remember correctly, my first trip with family. And without a doubt, the most memorable and cherished one. The sea beaches, first experience of staying in a hotel, collecting sea shells and having the time of my life.

*Not so good: The Mandal Commission protests of 1990 which closed roads, highways, transportational services, government services and schools. The protests started a day before we were set to return. Our train got cancelled, we spent the night on the railway station and even hitched a ride in a truck. A long and tough journey back home.


Rishikesh: Another family trip. Waded in the Ganga for the first time in my life. The drive along the winding roads and the wild adventure was a lovely experience.

*Not so good: After landing at around 12 in the night, we didn’t find any hotel or lodge till 4 in the night. Though that was a good experience too, it got a bit uncomfortable when we had to pee on footpaths. When we finally found a friend’s empty 2BHK apartment to sleep in, I had to be content with my bed, which was made by joining dining chairs together.


Dehradun and Mussorie: A family trip. Had a blast. Rain, long walks in the mountains, eating on the footpath, the elusive Company Garden, the chill in the air, we cousins bonding, the total fun. I remember it all so vividly.

*Not so good: The taxi driver that we hired kept winking at the girls all the way. And we couldn’t gather the guts to complain to our elders L


Hyderabad: A city very close to my heart. I spent little more than an year here and by the time I left it, I had fallen in love with it deeply. I still reminisce about Hussainsagar Lake, Hyderabad Central, Imax, Clocktower, Eat Street, St Mary’s Church, Charminar, the biryani, my hostel and my favourite eating places. The list is endless. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that I found my bearing in this city. My first job, love, friends, financial independence...this city gave me all.

*Not so good: A man in a helmet walking towards me on a deserted patch with unzipped trousers, his member erect and hanging out, on Necklace Road. I ran as fast as I could!



This list isn't exhaustive.

6 comments:

Ranjish Hi Sahi said...

beautiful post..the way u have recollected all those memories...wonder if all of us could do that... As for Hyderabad...a lovely city...the coincidence... It found for me the soul mate... :) keep blogging...

The Double Inverted Commas said...

agree ...one of my favourite cities....:)

Anonymous said...

Nice post! Good idea to list the cities one has visited. If I list, perhaps, it will have to go on till morning (now is evening).
I too Love Delhi, Goa, Mussorie...

state of mind? said...

hey thats a really cool post....i just lov ur idea of putting it all together in a phantashtic way...i just feel like tagging myself to be able to do this :)

The Double Inverted Commas said...

@Kulpreet: Thanks!! I can totally emphathize with you....even my list was super long...had to trim it down :)

@State of mind: Thank you!! I am glad you enjoyed reading it. I loved writing it :)

Vishnu said...

nice post.. trips are always tiring.. u always need to make a few sacrifices for enjoying.. and those small sacrifices are worth for the enjoyment..
u've been to bangalore and didnt party.. unbelievable..

strip tease @ 15.. u rock..